There is nothing better our dearly departed G.I. Joes and Janes would want us to do to celebrate their sacrifice on Memorial Day than to have a BBQ in their honor. While the coals heat and the food is sliced and diced and marinated, fire up the speakers with these smoking tracks:
1. “Fire” by Jimi Hendrix Experience.
Low and slow heat, about 98.6 Fahrenheit.
2. “Smoke on the Water” by Deep Purple.
The pink ring says smoky goodness.
3. “Cheeseburger in Paradise” by Jimmy Buffett.
Save some for the parrot.
4. “Hot Cookin'” by G. Love.
Just keep the hot stuff hot and the cold stuff cold.
5. “Hot Fun in the Summertime” by Sly and the Family Stone.
“Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba- when I want to!”
6. “Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer” by Nat King Cole.
Never too early for this seasonal classic.
7. “Living in the U.S.A.” by the Steve Miller Band.
“Somebody get me a cheeseburger.”
8. “Hamburger Midnight” by Little Feat.
Nothing like the comforting glow of a Weber at the witching hour.
9. Anything from the Meat is Murder album by the Smiths.
Vegetables grill up good too.
10. “The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbeque” by Frank Zappa.
Save this one for the complicated tong-work.
11. “Chicken, Gravy and Biscuits” by Lil Ed and the Blues Imperials.
(Cook the gravy on the side-burner.)
12. “Party on the Patio” by ZZ Top.
Long beards and fire don’t mix. Give the drummer some.
13. “Hey Good Looking” by Hank Williams.
Tom Marker plays this every Thanksgiving, but it’s perfect for Memorial Day too.
14. “Heaven’s Right Here” by Jeb Loy Nichols.
A great song about paradise with a deck in the middle.
15. “Hot Sauce” by Son Seals.
Good on everything, but use sparingly on the fruit.
16. “It Ain’t the Meat, It’s the Motion” by Maria Muldaur.
Turn evenly for best results.
17. “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes” by the Platters.
Try to keep most of it on the food.
18. “Cook Cook Blues” by the Rolling Stones.
Avoid these by leaving the person with the apron alone.
19. “Jump Into the Fire” by Harry Nilsson.
Only as a last resort.
20. “Burnin” Love” by Elvis Presley.
Anyone for dessert?