We could warn you about the dangers of using illegal fireworks, tell you not to drink too much and make-out with your hot neighbor, or remind you to pace yourself because you have to work on Tuesday, but we won’t.
Instead of we will just make this awesome list of our Top 10 Rock Songs Perfect For Independence Day and join you in the debauchery of the patriotic festivities.
10. “Country Boy”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Aaron Lewis[/lastfm] from [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Staind[/lastfm]
We are sure there are many people across the country that can identify with Aaron Lewis from Staind’s perspective on what it’s like to be a red-blooded American man who “rarely drinks from the bottle but smokes a little weed.”
While we fully appreciate Lewis’ patriotic sentiments, if we were a deer, we wouldn’t want to meet him in the forest with a loaded shotgun.
9. “Viva America”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Guttermouth[/lastfm]
Punk rock! America! Eff yeah America! Basically, that’s the whole premise of this Guttermouth song.
8. “Magic America”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Blur[/lastfm]
Taking it down a notch from the rapid-fire punk chords and with a decidedly more British take on American life is the tongue-in-cheek Britpop lyrics of Blur.
We wonder if the proverbial “he” ever made it to “Magic America.”
7.”The American”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Simple Minds[/lastfm]
The best part of this Simple Mind’s song is the choral repetition of “American.” After pounding a couple of Bud Lights in the sunshine, see if you can sing this chorus fast ten times.
6. “4th of July”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Soundgarden[/lastfm]
Soundgarden has always had a thing for writing about sky-based phenomena–whether they be sparkling and of the firework variety or black and of an apocalyptic vein.
5. “America”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Motorhead[/lastfm]
Lemmy from Motorhead might be British, but he sure as hell knows what makes America so great: rock ‘n roll, fast cars, and dirty, sexy broads.
4. “American Music”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Violent Femmes[/lastfm]
Do you like American music? I like American music. Don’t you like American music, baby?
Of course, what do you think we are doing right now, Gordon Gano?
3. “Freedom”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Rage Against The Machine[/lastfm]
As hyper-political as Rage Against The Machine are, we essentially could have put any one of their songs on this list, but “Freedom” just had a nice ring to it.
See what we did there?
2. “Freedom”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Alice Cooper[/lastfm]
What are your plans for Independence Day? Yeah, we are going to rock out to creepy Alice Cooper videos about American freedom as well.
1. “4th of July”-[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]X[/lastfm]
On the stairs I smoke a cigarette alone/Mexican kids are shootin’ fireworks below/Hey baby, it’s the Fourth of July/Hey baby, it’s the Fourth of July
Old school Los Angeles punk rock band, X, have basically summed up our holiday weekend in Southern California.
- Did we miss any songs? What are you doing this Fourth of July? Let us know in the comments!