Was it the ferocious, edgy punk sounds of the [mp3com-artist]Melvins[/mp3com-artist] or the experimental noisemaking of New York City’s [mp3com-artist]Sonic Youth[/mp3com-artist] that had the biggest impact on the music of [mp3com-artist]Kurt Cobain[/mp3com-artist]? In this week’s MP3.com Spotlight, the site commemorates the 20th anniversary of Nirvana’s Nevermind by highlighting some key artists who inspired the music of [mp3com-artist]Nirvana[/mp3com-artist]. Plus, get a free MP3 download from one of those artists!
Punk-rock music proved to be a huge influence on teenage Kurt Cobain’s artistic style. However, [mp3com-artist]The Beatles[/mp3com-artist] had an impact as well.
“My aunts would give me Beatles records,” Cobain told Jon Savage in 1993, “so for the most part I listened to the Beatles as a child and if I was lucky, I’d be able to buy a single.” (Source: The Lost Interview/Jon Savage)
Cobain also called [mp3com-artist]John Lennon[/mp3com-artist] his “idol” and admitted that he wrote the song “About a Girl” from Nirvana 1989 debut album Bleach (Sub Pop) after spending endless hours listening to Meet The Beatles.
In celebration of the 20th anniversary of the release of Nevermind, we give you five bands that heavily influenced the music of Nirvana.
1. [mp3com-artist]The Melvins[/mp3com-artist]
Both Nirvana and the Melvins were big fans of each other. During the 80’s the two bands often interchanged guitarists, bassists, and drummers. Dale Crover and Buzz Osbourne were part of both bands at one point in time.
2. [mp3com-artist]Sonic Youth[/mp3com-artist]. This NYC band was responsible for getting Nirvana to sign a major record deal with Geffen Records.
3. [mp3com-artist]The Vaselines[/mp3com-artist]. Nirvana covered three Vaselines songs including “Song Of A Gun.” Do you know the other two?
4. [mp3com-artist]Neil Young & Crazy Horse[/mp3com-artist]. Kurt’s suicide note contained a lyric from Young’s “My Hey Hey (Into The Black).” It quoted the line, “It’s better to burn out than to fade away.”
5. [mp3com-artist]R.E.M.[/mp3com-artist] Sadly the two never got together to record music, but we do know R.E.M.’s early sounds had an impact on Nirvana. In 1993, Cobain said of R.E.M. “If I could write just a couple of songs as good as what they’ve written … I don’t know how that band does what they do. God, they’re the greatest. They’ve dealt with their success like saints, and they keep delivering great music.”
Come back tomorrow for more featured guest playlists and free MP3s!