CBS Radio's Mistletoe Meltdown: Tickets On Sale Now Featuring Train, O.A.R, Daughtry & Ingrid Michaelson Read More

Conor Oberst Responds to Rape Accuser’s Retracted Allegations, Public Apology

View Comments
(Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images)

(Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images)

Conor Oberst has responded to his former sexual abuse accuser, who rescinded her statements earlier this week.

In a statement provided by his publicist, the Bright Eyes frontman noted that he had accepted the apology of Joanie Faircloth, who now goes by Joan Harris.

“I have accepted Joanie Faircloth’s apology and retraction to clear my name,” Oberst said in the statement. “This has been extremely difficult and stressful for me personally and for those I love. I’m appreciative of the family, friends, fans, and business partners who supported me throughout this and look forward to happier times as we all move forward with our lives.”

Related: Woman Who Accused Conor Oberst of Rape Recants Allegations, Publicly Apologizes

Faircloth sent an apology to Oberst’s camp earlier this week. She had accused the singer last year of raping her when she was 16 years old.

“The statements I made and repeated online and elsewhere over the past six months accusing Conor Oberst of raping me are 100% false,” Faircloth said Monday. “I made up those lies about him to get attention while I was going through a difficult period in my life and trying to cope with my son’s illness. I publicly retract my statements about Conor Oberst, and sincerely apologize to him, his family, and his fans for writing such awful things about him. I realize that my actions were wrong and could undermine the claims of actual sexual assault victims and for that I also apologize. I’m truly sorry for all the pain that I caused.”

Read more on Radio.com.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 238 other followers